Training workshop for media professionals in OIC countries on methods of vetting news in times of crises and spread of rumors
JEDDAH. KAZINFORM – The Union of OIC News Agencies (UNA), in partnership with the Department of Information at the General Secretariat of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, and the Islamic Broadcasting Union (IBU), will organize a virtual workshop (via video) on Monday (8 June 2020) on «Methods for vetting news during crises spread of rumors (Covid-19)», UNA reports.
Assistant Director of the Union Zayed Sultan Abdullah said, «The workshop comes in implementation of the outputs of the Union’s first forum entitled «The Role of News Agencies in Supporting Anti-Coronavirus Efforts», held on 16 May under the patronage of Acting Saudi Minister of Media, Chairman of UNA Executive Council H.E. Dr. Majid bin Abdullah Al-Qasabi.
Abdullah outlined that the workshop aims to develop the skills of the media professionals on methods to verify information and news in times of crises and spread of rumors, and how to deal with open-source information during crises and pandemics, especially the coronavirus pandemic.
He added that the workshop also comes to entrench the role assigned to official news agencies and respectable media outlets in refuting rumors, exposing fake news and spreading the truth, as well as how to fact check the news on social media networks.
The UNA Assistant Director noted that registration to attend the workshop is open to media professionals from news agencies, radio stations, satellite TV channels, and the media outlets accredited in the OIC countries through the following link:
Or through the Union’s website: una-oic.org
- Kazakhstan inaugurates new Abai TV Channel
- Kazakhstan to open new TV channels
- Foreign journalists congratulate Kazakhstani colleagues on professional holiday
- Kazakhstan marks Day of Media Workers
- Dauren Abayev awards President’s prizes and grants to mass media workers
- Head of State commends Kazinform team
- Speeches of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- President's Address to the Nation
- Development of the President's Message
- Foreign Mass Media about Kazakhstan
- World and Crisis