Roundup: More countries confirm Omicron cases, Israel seals borders
BANGKOK. KAZINFORM Australia on Sunday confirmed its first cases of the new Covid-19 Omicron variant, concern over which is leading dozens of countries around the world to ban or restrict entry to travelers from southern Africa.
The variant, which was first detected in Botswana on Nov. 11, was identified by South Africa on Tuesday and classified as «of concern» by the World Health Organization because of its high number of mutations, EFE reports.
It is not yet known how existing vaccines would work against Omicron, nor whether it is more transmissible, but the WHO said it «may have a growth advantage.«
- Japan decides to put Tokyo, 12 more areas under COVID quasi-emergency
- Daily cases jump to over 6,000 for 1st time in nearly month amid omicron woes in S. Korea
- 12 die of COVID-19, COVID-like pneumonia in Kazakhstan in 24h
- 124 new cases of COVID-like pneumonia in Kazakhstan in one day
- Over 9 mln Kazakhstanis vaccinated with 1st dose of anti-COVID vaccines
- Over 110,000 treated for coronavirus in Kazakhstan
- Speeches of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- President's Address to the Nation
- Development of the President's Message
- Foreign Mass Media about Kazakhstan
- World and Crisis