Man kills 2 police officers, 1 civilian in terror incident in Belgium
ASTANA. KAZINFORM - An assailant killed two Belgian police officers and a civilian before being shot dead by security officials in a shooting that the prosecutor's office said Tuesday it was treating as a suspected terror incident, EFE reports.
Prosecutor Philippe Dulieu said the attack began when the assailant stabbed two police officers in the back multiple times in the eastern city of Liege.
"He got hold of weapons from the police officers, who were dead, then walked to a car that was parked nearby and shot at a 22-year-old man in the passenger seat," he said, adding that the young man was killed.
The assailant then fled to the nearby Léonie de Waha secondary school and took a woman hostage, who was rescued and is safe and unharmed.
Local police killed the assailant in a shoot-out that left two other officers injured, said Dulieu.
The regional governor, Hervé Jamar, said no students at the school were injured during the attack.
Liege Mayor Willy Demeyer said in a statement published on his Twitter account that the situation was under control and the assailant had been neutralized.
Photo credit: telegraph.co.uk
- Japan faces putting majority of 47 prefs. Under COVID quasi-emergency
- S. Korean gov’t to lower age of eligibility for COVID-19 treatment pills from 65 to 60: PM
- COVID-19: Italy registers 188,797 new cases, 385 deaths
- Ukraine reports 18,479 new COVID-19 cases
- Chinese mainland's new local COVID-19 infections on the decrease
- Over 300 mln COVID-19 cases confirmed all over world, WHO says
- Speeches of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- President's Address to the Nation
- Development of the President's Message
- Foreign Mass Media about Kazakhstan
- World and Crisis