EU population passes 513M
ANKARA. KAZINFORM The population of the European Union stood at 513.5 million as of Jan. 1, 2019, the bloc's statistical office said on Wednesday.
The EU population increased 1.1 million year-on-year, compared to 512.4 million as of Jan. 1, 2018, Eurostat said in a statement, Anadolu Agency reports.
During 2018, more deaths than births were recorded in the EU'S 28 member states, 5.3 million deaths to 5 million births.
"The natural change of the EU population was negative for a second consecutive year. The population change (positive, with 1.1 million more inhabitants) was therefore due to net migration," it stressed.
In another statement also released by Eurostat on Wednesday said that the EU's population will decrease by almost 4%, or 20 million people, between Jan. 1, 2018 and Jan. 1, 2100.
"Following years of steady increase, the EU's population is projected to peak at 525 million persons in 2044, and then to progressively fall," the statement added.
- Omicron spread to 50 countries, 19 US states: CDC head
- New COVID-19 cases, critical patients set new records as infections soar in S. Korea
- EU health bodies approve combined use of different COVID vaccines
- COVID in Italy: 15,756 new cases, 99 more victims
- PM reports to President Tokayev on 2021 population census results
- France reports record daily COVID-19 count
- Speeches of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- President's Address to the Nation
- Development of the President's Message
- Foreign Mass Media about Kazakhstan
- World and Crisis