Coronavirus can become seasonal infection — WHO director for Europe
MOSCOW. KAZINFORM World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Europe Hans Kluge is not ruling out the possibility that the coronavirus can become a seasonal infection.
He underlined that coronaviruses belong to the same group as influenza viruses. «So, in that sense it could become seasonal,» he noted. «My principle is, because I am an optimist, I hope for the best, but I prepare for the worst,» TASS reports.
In late December 2019, Chinese officials informed the World Health Organization (WHO) about the outbreak of a previously unknown pneumonia in the city of Wuhan, in central China. Since then, cases of the novel coronavirus - named COVID-19 by the WHO - have been reported in every corner of the world.
On March 11, 2020, the WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic. According to the latest statistics, over 32,800,000 people have been infected worldwide and more than 994,000 deaths have been reported.
- Kyzylorda steps up preps for possible second-wave COVID-19 outbreak
- Kazakh Health Ministry issues daily update on COVID-19 numbers
- Nur-Sultan reports highest number of COVID-19 recoveries in 24hrs
- Almost 150 new COVID-19 cases registered in Kazakhstan
- 7 arrived in Aktobe rgn from abroad tested positive for COVID-19
- 11 rural settlements in N Kazakhstan put under quarantine
- Speeches of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- President's Address to the Nation
- Development of the President's Message
- Foreign Mass Media about Kazakhstan
- World and Crisis