Climate Crisis: Lombardy suffering 'worst-ever' drought
28 June 2022 08:57

Climate Crisis: Lombardy suffering 'worst-ever' drought

ROME. KAZINFORM Lombardy Governor Attilio Fontana said Monday that Italy's severe, ongoing drought, which is hitting the north especially hard and causing huge problems for agriculture, is the worst his region has ever experienced.

«A water crisis like this has never occurred in the history of Lombardy,» said Fontana after Lombardy declared a drought state of emergency on Friday.
The Lombardy decree, in force until September 30, urges all citizens to «use water in an extremely parsimonious, sustainable and effective way, limiting its consumption to the minimum indispensable».

Related to the move, Milan said at the weekend that it was turning off its fountains, although not its drinking-water fountains.
Civil Protection Department Head Fabrizio Curcio told Sky Tg24 on Monday that the volume of water in the Po, Italy's longest river, was up to 80% lower than usual.
He put this down to recent rainfall levels being 40-50% lower than the average for recent years and winter snowfall being 70% down.
He said the central government was working on the criteria and the related measures for the state of emergency set to apply in Lombardy and other regions where it will be declared due to the drought.
Curcio added that it was not possible to rule out water rationing during the day.
The drought alert has spread from the Po valley to central rivers like the Arno, the Aniene and the Tiber, which have half the water they normally do at this time of the year, officials said recently.
The Po drought threatens over 30% of the national farm output.
Farmers association Coldiretti said last week that the damage is currently estimated at over three billion euros.
Restrictions on the use of water have already been imposed in some areas and many towns are having to have water brought in by trucks.
In some, water is being closed off completely at night.
More frequent and intense droughts are among the consequences of human-caused climate change, scientists say.

Related news
COVID ICU occupancy -22% in 7 days, wards -20% - FIASO
10 August 2022 21:40

COVID ICU occupancy -22% in 7 days, wards -20% - FIASO

ROME. KAZINFORM - Italy's COVID-19 ICU occupancy rate fell 22% in the last seven days, hospital group FIASO said Wednesday, ANSA reports.

General ward occupancy for coronavirus cases fell by 20% in the same period, said the federation.

Some 80% of those admitted for COVID to general wards have not yet received their fourth COVID jab, it said.

Paediatric admissions were down 27% in general wards, and there were none in ICUs, FIASO said.

The 0-4 age group is still the most hit accounting for 76.5% of those admitted.

Children under the age of six months account for 32.3% of the total. (ANSA).





Photo: www.ansa.it

COVID: 11,976 new cases, 113 more victims in Italy
9 August 2022 11:51

COVID: 11,976 new cases, 113 more victims in Italy

ROME. KAZINFORM - There have been 11,976 new cases of COVID-19 in Italy in the last 24 hours, and 113 more victims of the virus, the health ministry said Monday, ANSA reports.

That compares with 26,662 new cases and 74 more victims Sunday.
Some 75,602 more tests have been done, compared with 166,481 Sunday.
The positivity rate is down from 16% to 15.8%.
Intensive care cases are three down to 339 and hospital admissions up 126 to 9,052.
The currently positive are 1,054,167, down 40,789 on Sunday.
The recovered and discharged are 20,097,986, up 52,651on Sunday.
The case tally since the start of the pandemic is 21,325,402, and the death toll 173,249.

Photo: ansa.it



120 evacuated amid wildfires near Savona
8 August 2022 21:40

120 evacuated amid wildfires near Savona

ROME. KAZINFORM - Some 120 people were evacuated Monday as a wildfire raged near Savona amid sweltering midsummer heat, ANSA reports.

The fire has been consuming the woods at Arnasco and Villanova d'Albenga since Saturday afternoon.

It has continued its advance and the situation became critical overnight as 70 people were forced to evacuate.

Some homes were set alight and in all 120 people were evacuated at Villanova d'Albenga.

The situation is worsening along provincial highway 453 and more homes are threatened by the flames.

The worst affected points are currently at Marina Verde and above all at Borgo Verde and the Coasco neighborhood where many homes are in danger of going up in smoke, firefighters said.

More fire teams were rushed to the zone overnight and the activity of helicopters and canadair water-dumping planes has resumed.


Photo: ansa.it


News

Archive